As most of you probably know, there are currently multiple protests against racism and police brutality after the killing of George Floyd in the U.S. that have spread worldwide.
I have so many things to say, but I’ll spare your eyeballs because there would be a FUCKING INCONCEIVABLE ABUNDANCE OF EXPLETIVES. But if there’s a pared-down version I want to say to my fellow white folks, especially if you’re a Christian, it’s this:
“You shall not follow a majority in wrongdoing; […] you shall not side with the majority so as to pervert justice.”
– Exodus 23:2, after The New Revised Standard Version of The Bible
I was brought up Christian and my grandfather was a policeman, and I cannot fucking fathom how many white people are apparently fucking fine with police essentially executing BIPOC or attacking peaceful demonstrators without any consequences.
If you believe you are a Christian, especially a white one, especially one working as a police officer, there’s only one side in all of this that you can possibly take.
For example, if you think it’s acceptable to
- …throttle a man to death on suspicion of using a counterfeit bill,
- …force your way into someone’s home and indiscriminately start shooting,
- …knock an old man down without provocation or walk by while he lies on the ground unconscious and bleeding,
- …lob smoking paint canisters at someone just standing on the porch of their home,
- …make a false 911 call to accuse a random bird watcher of threatening you,
- …order someone out of their home and immediately shoot them dead,
- …pepper spray someone straight into their face when they are standing with their hands up,
- …raid the wrong house and shoot a child with a submachine gun,
- …ram non-violent protestors with a van,
- …shoot a pepper pellet at a non-violent person from a truck as you are already leaving,
- …shoot and kill someone through their home window for playing video games,
- …shoot at a noisy party, killing someone,
- …target and attack journalists who are covering a demonstration,
then you are a part of the problem. No ifs or buts.
If you are a police officer and said yes to any of the above, you are, in actual fucking fact, a member of a violent cult and an oathbreaker, and belong in jail.
(No, rioting isn’t okay, but I do understand a little where all the anguish and rage is coming from.)
Comments are closed. This is not a subject that is even supposed to be under discussion.
Here there be opinions!