Worldcon is in Helsinki this year. As a Finnish-American couple, we are very excited about this! In the coming months, we’d like to offer some practical advice about visiting Finland to our fellow fans who are considering going to the event but haven’t had experience with Finland and Finns before.
Eppu here. Erik already started with his take on Finns through American eyes. I want to briefly highlight some resources Worldcon 75 has already published through their progress reports and elsewhere:
- “Finland: A Very Short Guide For Your First Trip” (Facebook)
- “Finland: An Assortment of Notes and Information” (in Progress Report 1)
- “Finnish Fandom: Some Unique Characteristics” (in Progress Report 1)
- “Finnish Foods and Where to Find Them” (in Progress Report 3)
- “The History of Finnish Science Fiction” (in Progress Report 4)
- “Hotels: Understanding the Differences between Countries” (in Progress Report 3)
- “Non-Fandom Things to Do in Helsinki, If You Have the Time” (in Progress Report 2)
- “Sauna in Finland” (in Progress Report 4)
- “Älä hätäile! Don’t Panic! A Short Guide for Pronouncing Finnish” (in Progress Report 2)
Confession: I had to check what kind of food vorschmack is, and I’m pretty sure I’ve never eaten it! 🙂
Post edited for style, and again to add resources.
In Live and Active Cultures we talk about cultures and cultural differences.